Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Age of Online Storage

I still remember the fist computer that i purchased in my first year of Engineering had a HDD of 20 GB. 20 Gb then was more or less sufficient for all the that we used to have. 14 years later even my mobile as over 30 gb of space.

Initially Google came up with the idea of storing your files in the cloud with its drive program. You could link the Gmail space to your desktop and add files in there. Those files would be saved as email with attachements in your gmail account.

Soon more players came into the field, 'Dropbox" and "Box" leading the race. Nowadays online storage has started to become more cheaper than before. Google just dropped its price for the online Drive storage. I just brought a 100 Gb of cloud space for a price of 2 dollars per month.

My Adobe creative cloud offers me 20 Gb of free space on their server, I have a Dropbox space of about 10 GB and Ubuntu offers 2 Gb of free storage to sync everything on my Linux server.

Soon in a couple more years i feel we would no more require to buy HDD except for a little storage for the OS to boot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post